Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for travelers to share information, questions and stories...

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Currency scam on border...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bethh

Currency scam on border... Empty
PostSubject: Currency scam on border...   Currency scam on border... EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I was subject to a Cambodian border scam and have lost 250$ as a result. I am traveling alone and constantly try to be vigilant. I looked up information about the border scams beforehand and so I went with your package deal in an attempt to avoid the scam. Please read my story:

Once on the bus to the border, our guide did take us to a stop in Poipet before the border, and charged other tourists 45$ for their visas, which I avoided. Near to the border, our bus guide insisted that we would lose money in Cambodia if we paid in US$ and it is best to pay in riel. The guide also told us that to exchange USD to riel anywhere but the border, they charge 10%! So now was the only time to do it. I had 180$ US with me and I took out another 250$ cdn in thai bhat so that I'd have enough money for my travels through Cambodia. (This is more than I normally take out, which is why this scam hurts so much.) First I exchnaged the money to thai bhat because our giude told us that all asian union currencies can be exchanged without charge at border crossings. I then exchanged the money at a government official money exchange office in Cambodia, which charges no commission to exchange.

The tricky thing is that 4000 riel = 1 USD. So I was getting 20 000 and 10 000 notes in riel. It was a HUGE stack of money and I didn't get a receipt for the transaction. I was trying to add it up and I got the lady to show me the calculation on the calculator. Meanwhile, the Cambodian guide was rushing me to get on the bus, saying that it was leaving and I wouldn't get to my destination otherwise. I felt frantic and also worried that things weren't going right. But I never expected to be ripped off so much.

I checked the top rubber banded grouping of notes. It was ten 20 000 riel notes. This is 50$ and so I thought the money stacks appeared to add up,  and then I quickly added and ran off to the bus.

Now that I look at them, the rest of the stacks at ten 10 000 riel bills. Each stack is only 25$. So now I am left with about 200$ or a bit less. I have lost about 250$. This is devastating, especially sine I am a student on a tight budget traveling for 1 year. I feel there like such an idiot and there is nothing I can do.

I am telling you because this scam appeared professional, friendly and was easy to fall for. I am an experienced traveler and I have done India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand, all without getting so scammed. I don't think you want to work with a company like this in future if this is what they do to tourists. I am fairly sure everyone I was with was ripped off in one way or another during the trip to Siem Reap.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Currency scam on border... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency scam on border...   Currency scam on border... EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 pm

We have interrupted all sales of tickets to Cambodia and advise anyone traveling there to do so through the Eastern Bus terminal or the Central Hua Lampong station and NOT by minibus. Its time to put an end to these scams!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bornfreeadventures.com

Currency scam on border...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Travel Forum :: Travel Experiences :: Cambodia-
Jump to: